Thursday, February 4, 2010

Lessons from Teaching

Many times when I leave work early to go teach a religion class I am muttering under my breath, why do I bother, this is such a hassle etc. but last night made it worthwhile.

One of the little boys in class, 7 years old with a distinct lisp, had a night to remember. We were having a class competition, sort of a Jeopardy game about what we have been learning all year. I was totally impressed with how much these children have learned in my class. It came down to a tie and for the tie-breaker we asked if anyone could recite the Act of Contrition, a prayer they have been studying, with many difficult words in it, I even have trouble remembering it. Well little Riley stood up and shyly started to recite it in front of the class, it was so cute and as he got closer to the end and realized he had done it he put his arms up in victory, all the kids on his team cheered, it was so precious! When his mom got there to pick him up he was on top of the world, he said I am the hero of my class. I thought, this may stick with him for life, I am so glad I got to witness it! It certainly made my day!

1 comment:

Remodelaholic said...

oh, that is such a sweet story! What a wonderful thing for that child, all children need that. And what better thing to be confident in than our religions and beliefs!

btw, thanks for becoming a follower of my blog!