Friday, March 12, 2010

The Forgotten

I am usually ultra-reliable, if I say I am going to be somewhere I am there, no doubt.
Well last week I messed up, Chris has joined the school chorus (yeah!) thus adding another obligation and scheduling wrinkle for me. So when I was at my work desk engrossed in my latest project, I was totally caught off-guard when my phone rang and the sweet voice on the other end said "Mom, where are you?" OMG I had forgotten to pick him up, he calmly said "its okay Mom just hurry." It was a full half hour past when he was supposed to be picked up. I flew out of the office and over to the school, they were not happy, they handed me a bill for $12 for aftercare. At this point my calm, cool and collected child burst into tears in front of his classmates. I felt terrible! He was mostly upset because they were penalizing me for forgetting.

I have rarely experienced this type of scenario, like I said I have never forgotten him before! I just kept apologizing, no excuses, just plain forgot.

How do I mend this, I thought. I needed to stop at WalMart to pick up some things, so I let him pick out whatever it was he wanted (within reason) I needed to fix this fast! He chose Flaming Hot Cheetos.

Probably not the textbook version of how I should have handled it, but on the way home he said "I am feeling better now Mom." Thats all I needed to hear.

1 comment:

Wenderina said...

Of all the things that can be labeled "bad parenting" this is not one of them. Give yourself a break. And junk food has always calmed me...so good call.