Wednesday, March 24, 2010

In the Clutch

Last Friday night, the weather was finally right for baseball, sunny about 65 degrees, perfect. We have been sitting through freezing temps for weeks now, for some reason they start baseball in February in Georgia. The season has not been going great Chris's team had yet to win a game and now they were down 6-0 in the 4th inning. Suddenly their bats came alive and they got the score to 6-5. In the last inning the opposing team put in their best pitcher, two players got on base, then he struck out the next batter, and the next and I see Chris walking up to the plate with 2 outs and the game on the line. Oh great I thought, I was out of my seat and pacing around behind the bleachers I couldn't watch. Jim and I shot each other a bad look -- Chris is going to experience what it is like to blow a game for his team, after this great comeback. It reminded me of a scene from that movie "Mr. Destiny" where the main character's entire life hinged on one strikeout, if he could only go back and change it...

Both sets of bleachers were silent, it was win or lose. Chris got up to the plate and blasted one to the fence which scored 2 runs and the game was over -they won! It was high-fives all around, he was the hero for a night! They presented him with the game ball. We were so proud, all the parents in the stands know how great that feels, when its your kid who comes through in the clutch. What a night!

1 comment:

Wenderina said...

Oh how fabulous! I can only imagine how amazing that must have been for all of you. But I'm sure he would've handled defeat graciously as well...maybe not you...but Chris would have been fine.